Planning and Preparation:
- Discuss how to plan and prepare for creating development documentation, including identifying the audience, determining the scope and objectives, and organizing the information.
- Use-case: A team lead is planning to create development documentation for a new project. They identify the target audience as the developers who will be working on the project, and the objectives are to ensure that the development process is consistent and efficient.
- Explain the best practices for documenting code, including commenting conventions and how to document different types of code (e.g. classes, functions, etc.).
- Use-case: A developer is working on a Python project and wants to ensure that their code is well-documented. They use the Google Python Style Guide for commenting conventions, and they include detailed comments on the purpose and usage of each class and function.
Creating Technical Manuals:
- Describe how to create technical manuals that provide detailed information on how to use and maintain a system or application.
- Use-case: A team lead is creating a technical manual for a web application. They include instructions on how to install and configure the application, as well as detailed information on the application’s architecture and how to troubleshoot common issues.
Managing and Maintaining Documentation:
- Discuss best practices for managing and maintaining development documentation, including version control, reviews and updates.
- Use-case: A team lead is responsible for maintaining development documentation for a legacy system. They use version control to keep track of changes to the documentation, and they conduct regular reviews to ensure that the documentation is up-to-date and accurate.
It’s worth noting that it’s important to adapt the content and examples to your specific context. Additionally, depending on the complexity of the system or application you’re working on, you may need to add or remove sections to better suit the needs of your audience.
Read more about other types of documentation here.